posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default making a centerboard for my sailboat? (Escape Rumba)

I just purchased a used Escape Rumba. The centerboard is split right
down the middle. I called the Escape company and was told I could get a
new one for $95, but it is on 2 week backorder.

How hard would it be to make a new one myself? Can I just buy a certain
type of wood, cut out the shape, bevel the edges, put on some type of
water-proof seal ??

Or, I could glue the old one back together?

posted to alt.sailing.asa

the centerboard in my sailboat is definately solid wood - not plywood,
not fiberglass coated, etc... it's just a wooden centerboard. Do I
still need to use the West System epoxy or can I just get a standard
wood glue from my local lumberyard - then coat the entire centerboard
in some water-proof seal to protect it (since it looks a little
weathered)

Walt wrote:
wrote:
I just purchased a used Escape Rumba. The centerboard is split right
down the middle. I called the Escape company and was told I could get a
new one for $95, but it is on 2 week backorder.

How hard would it be to make a new one myself? Can I just buy a certain
type of wood, cut out the shape, bevel the edges, put on some type of
water-proof seal ??

Or, I could glue the old one back together?

Assuming it's a clean split, I'd try gluing the old one back together
first. It's not at all uncommon for wood centerboards to split - a bit
of cleanup and application of some West System epoxy and they're like
new. Now, I don't think the Escape has a wood centerboard, but whatever
it's made of is probably gluable if the split is a clean one.

Second choice would be to spend the 95 bucks - yes, you can build your
own more or less the way you describe, but it'll take more than 95
bucks worth of your time unless you value your time at less than minimum
wage. And if you ever want to race it you'll probably need to use a
stock centerboard.

//Walt

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Ralph Waldo Emerson

wrote in message ups.com...
|I just purchased a used Escape Rumba. The centerboard is split right
| down the middle. I called the Escape company and was told I could get a
| new one for $95, but it is on 2 week backorder.
|
| How hard would it be to make a new one myself? Can I just buy a certain
| type of wood, cut out the shape, bevel the edges, put on some type of
| water-proof seal ??
|
| Or, I could glue the old one back together?

Forget all about wood, epoxy and other high maintenance systems
that will warp, bend, crack and swell.

Get a piece of Starboard plastic and fashion your centerboard
from it. You will have a trouble-free centerboard.

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com...goryId%7E 305

West Marine sells it locally.

Yours,
RWE

Hollywood is a place that will give you $2000 for your body and fifty cents for your soul.
-Marilyn Monroe

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Walt

Ralph Waldo Emerson wrote:

wrote in message ups.com...
|I just purchased a used Escape Rumba. The centerboard is split right
| down the middle. I called the Escape company and was told I could get a
| new one for $95, but it is on 2 week backorder.
|
| How hard would it be to make a new one myself? Can I just buy a certain
| type of wood, cut out the shape, bevel the edges, put on some type of
| water-proof seal ??
|
| Or, I could glue the old one back together?

Forget all about wood, epoxy and other high maintenance systems
that will warp, bend, crack and swell.

Get a piece of Starboard plastic and fashion your centerboard
from it. You will have a trouble-free centerboard.

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com...goryId%7E 305

"It is the choice of thousands of boat owners for hatches, doors, rails,
handles, cup holders, fishing rod holders, counters, chairs, tables,
frames and other boat trim."

Let me know when somebody starts making foils out of it. I'm highly
skeptical that it would be even minimally adequate, even if it you could
get it in a sufficient thicknesses.

//Walt
posted to alt.sailing.asa
Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Walt" wrote in message ...
| Ralph Waldo Emerson wrote:
|

| wrote in message ups.com...
| |I just purchased a used Escape Rumba. The centerboard is split right
| | down the middle. I called the Escape company and was told I could get a
| | new one for $95, but it is on 2 week backorder.
| |
| | How hard would it be to make a new one myself? Can I just buy a certain
| | type of wood, cut out the shape, bevel the edges, put on some type of
| | water-proof seal ??
| |
| | Or, I could glue the old one back together?
| |

| Forget all about wood, epoxy and other high maintenance systems
| that will warp, bend, crack and swell.
|
| Get a piece of Starboard plastic and fashion your centerboard
| from it. You will have a trouble-free centerboard.

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com...goryId%7E 305

| "It is the choice of thousands of boat owners for hatches, doors, rails,
| handles, cup holders, fishing rod holders, counters, chairs, tables,
| frames and other boat trim."
|
| Let me know when somebody starts making foils out of it. I'm highly
| skeptical that it would be even minimally adequate, even if it you could
| get it in a sufficient thicknesses.
|
| //Walt

Take a look at a Hobie rudder sometime. It's not troublesome wood.
And, a foil need not be thick to work well.

RWE

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Walt" wrote in message ...
| Ralph Waldo Emerson wrote:
|

| wrote in message ups.com...
| |I just purchased a used Escape Rumba. The centerboard is split right
| | down the middle. I called the Escape company and was told I could get a
| | new one for $95, but it is on 2 week backorder.
| |
| | How hard would it be to make a new one myself? Can I just buy a certain
| | type of wood, cut out the shape, bevel the edges, put on some type of
| | water-proof seal ??
| |
| | Or, I could glue the old one back together?
| |

| Forget all about wood, epoxy and other high maintenance systems
| that will warp, bend, crack and swell.
|
| Get a piece of Starboard plastic and fashion your centerboard
| from it. You will have a trouble-free centerboard.

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com...goryId%7E 305

| "It is the choice of thousands of boat owners for hatches, doors, rails,
| handles, cup holders, fishing rod holders, counters, chairs, tables,
| frames and other boat trim."
|
| Let me know when somebody starts making foils out of it. I'm highly
| skeptical that it would be even minimally adequate, even if it you could
| get it in a sufficient thicknesses.
|
| //Walt

Take a look at a Hobie rudder sometime. It's not troublesome wood.
And, a foil need not be thick to work well.

RWE

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Walt" wrote in message ...
| Let me know when somebody starts making foils out of it. I'm highly
| skeptical that it would be even minimally adequate, even if it you could
| get it in a sufficient thicknesses.
|
| //Walt

Talk about barely adequate . . .

http://www.boats.com/content/default...ontentid=10171

That silly little plastic boat needs a plastic centerboard.

RWE

posted to alt.sailing.asa

before you guys get all bent out of shape -

1. I went to the website for Starboard plastic and it never mentions
using it to fashion boat parts that are used as control surfaces. Sure,
you can use it for a bench or a ladder, but to put it in the water as
your centerboard?? It says it has MATT surfaces on both sides (not very
slippery!)

2. The size of Starboard I would need cost $45 + shipping and then I
have to spend several hours cutting it to shape and rounding off all
the edges... compared to $95 + shipping and I get the official Escape
centerboard that can be installed in 5 minutes...

I really just want to get this thing out on the water before summer is
over and make sure it works... I can use a glue to get the centerboard
back together for now, then if I'm still happy with the boat by the end
of summer I'll order the factory centerboard - if I decide I do not
like it I'll post it on eBay.

Robert

Walt wrote:
Ralph Waldo Emerson wrote:

"Walt" wrote in message
| Ralph Waldo Emerson wrote:

| Get a piece of Starboard plastic and fashion your centerboard
| from it. You will have a trouble-free centerboard.

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com...goryId%7E 305

| I'm highly
| skeptical that it would be even minimally adequate, even if it you could
| get it in a sufficient thicknesses.

Take a look at a Hobie rudder sometime. It's not troublesome wood.

And it's not Starboard plastic either. You've never made a foil out of
this stuff, have you? IOW, you're making it all up.

//Walt