Tim Tim is offline

Default Boat covers and bungee cords

On Apr 17, 7:10*pm, John H wrote:
On Sat, 17 Apr 2010 08:47:15 -0700 (PDT), Tim wrote:
On Apr 17, 8:22*am, John H wrote:
On Fri, 16 Apr 2010 21:47:36 -0400, Larry wrote:
John H wrote:
On Fri, 16 Apr 2010 15:39:53 -0700 (PDT), *wrote:

On Apr 16, 4:18 pm, John *wrote:

It is my belief that bungee cords should not be used with boat covers, unless
the boat cover is of the 'throwaway' variety.

Bungee cords stretch, and they will often allow the cover to sag a little when
it begins raining or snow. Once the cover sags just a bit, the weight of more
water or snow will cause it to sag even more. The bungee cord is helping this
process because it is stretching to accomodate the extra weight.

When I got my new cover, I followed the maker's advice and bought a tie down kit
to go with it. The kit is only $22.59 *Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Carver-Boat-Co.../dp/B0000AYI62

"Constructed Of 1" Black Polypropylene Webbing And Convenient Quick Release
Buckles."

The kits contain 12 straps, each 8' long.

The final product looks like this:

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l2...atCover001.jpg

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l2...atCover002.jpg
--
John H

For a great time, go here first...http://tinyurl.com/ygqxs5v

When I first got my 18'r four years ago, I parked it outside and took
a 10 ft sheet of plywood, *and set it on the lip of the windshield and
the back of the i/o engine cover, then put a large cheap, silver , non-
UV collecting tarp over it and used a handful of black rubber straps
to hold it in place from the eye holes to the trailer frame. , nothing
of extreme tightness, and the board did a good job of covering with no
snow/rain/ice building up because there were no pockets being formed.
In the spring, I hosed off the tarp, let it dry, unhooked everything,
folded it up and all was good. The tarp was loose enough that it
wouldn't catch a sharp corner and rip, yet it *let plenty of
ventilation flow through the boat, and was firm enough to stay in
place. and not blow away.

No, I am *not* going to cover my boat with a 10' sheet of plywood and a tarp.
Hell, I'd get laughed out of my marina!
--
John H

For a great time, go here first...http://tinyurl.com/ygqxs5v

10' plywood? *I've never seen it for sale!

Knowing Tim, I'll bet he scabbed a few smaller pieces together!
--
John H

For a great time, go here first...http://tinyurl.com/ygqxs5v-Hide quoted text -

No, actually my dad came across some 10 ft. pieces several years ago
at an auction that were left over from a special order *construction
project. I've never seen them that long at a lumber yard before. I
dont' know what they were used for but I have about 6 or 7 sheets of
the stuff.

Probably collectors' items Tim. Hell, they may be worth a fortune.
--
John H

For a great time, go here first...http://tinyurl.com/ygqxs5v

"collector grade" plywood. Come to think of it, there probably is
sucha thing.

who'd a thunk it?

"Don White" wrote in message

"Bill McKee" wrote in message
m...

"Larry" wrote in message
John H wrote:
[...]

Nice rig! That's a great way to tie it down. Bungees are not for
towing!

My cover snaps on, is also good for trailering. But there is an
adjustible support pole in the middle that goes to a reinforced snap to
hold it in place. Allows all the rainwater to run off. I do not store
it in snow. And the rest of the time, it is in a Costco Portable garage
for $230.

I went over to the lumber store and bought a 12' length and an 8' length
of 2"x4" to build a ridge pole to support my cover.
Because our snow load can be heavy at times, i also bought a couple
lengths of 1"x6" board to run down fron the ridge pole to the gunnels.
Seems to work ok.

Why the hell would you live where it snows that much?

"Larry" wrote in message
Bill McKee wrote:
wrote in message

John H wrote:

[...]

Snaps are great for aluminum boats when they work. Replacing them is a
PITA and if the cover shrinks it makes it more difficult to get all of the
snaps to work properly. Here's a tip: A buddy of mine had snaps on his
boat and used candle wax to protect them and make them easier to snap on
and remove.

Larry

As long as you leave the cover snapped between trips, is not a problem with
the shrinkage. Candle was can be good or bad. I candle waxed mine and took
a year and a lot of wiping before some of mine would stay snapped. :)
My cover is Topgun fabric and the first cover lasted about 12 years. 2nd
cover lasted 10 days, before someone swiped it.

wrote in message
On Sat, 17 Apr 2010 17:32:00 -0700 (PDT), Tim
wrote:

at an auction that were left over from a special order construction
project. I've never seen them that long at a lumber yard before. I
dont' know what they were used for but I have about 6 or 7 sheets of
the stuff.

Probably collectors' items Tim. Hell, they may be worth a fortune.
--
John H

For a great time, go here first...http://tinyurl.com/ygqxs5v

"collector grade" plywood. Come to think of it, there probably is
sucha thing.

who'd a thunk it?

Any real lumber yard should be able to order it for you. You can also
get 5' wide plywood.
They may want you to buy a bundle of it tho ;-)

Nope, they would want you to buy a "unit" of it. I have never seen the 5x
but 4x10 is a catalog item. Probably for use like 4x10 sheetrock sheathing.

On Sat, 17 Apr 2010 19:56:18 -0400, Larry wrote:

Don White wrote:
"Bill wrote in message
m...

wrote in message

John H wrote:

[...]

1-1/2" or 2" PVC also works well. It lasts longer, is lighter, and
bends better than wood. It is also less abrasive on the cover since
there are no splinters. If you are adventurous, you can install some
fittings to customize it even further.

Larry

That is a great idea. For a very few bucks, one could build a ridge pole that
would screw apart and fit the boat properly.

I like it. Might give it a shot.

Thanks.

On Sat, 17 Apr 2010 17:30:56 -0700 (PDT), Tim wrote:

On Apr 17, 7:09*pm, John H wrote:
On Sat, 17 Apr 2010 08:51:56 -0700 (PDT), Tim wrote:
On Apr 16, 7:41*pm, John H wrote:
On Fri, 16 Apr 2010 15:39:53 -0700 (PDT), Tim wrote:
On Apr 16, 4:18*pm, John H wrote:
[...]

Awwww John. *In my case I leave the cover off year around now that I
store it inside unless I'm on the lake. *Sure it's a tacky way of
doing things, but it was totally functional. My wife doesn't cater to
tha theory though, she thinks all things (except me) need to look
"pretty and prissy" * But I remind her about boating. "We're going
where fish poop. Not to a gala outing at the Yacht club"

Here's an idea for you. The last time I took my grandkids out, they all wanted
to help when I started cleaning the boat upon our return.

I'll bet you could get all those nieces and nephews to do a lot of work on that
monstrosity if you presented it properly!
--
John H

For a great time, go here first...http://tinyurl.com/ygqxs5v

Now THAT' s an idea! Like, clean it up and tomorrow we go...

Amen, bro, amen.
--
John H

For a great time, go here first... http://tinyurl.com/ygqxs5v

"Larry" wrote in message
Don White wrote:
"Bill wrote in message
m...

wrote in message

John H wrote:

[...]

Did all that with the Sandpiper 565. That framework went with the sailboat
when I sold it in 2007

"Bill McKee" wrote in message

"Don White" wrote in message

"Bill McKee" wrote in message
m...

"Larry" wrote in message
John H wrote:
[...]

What's wrong with a bit of snow?
Provides good exercise in the boating offseason.

mgg mgg is offline

wrote:

[...]

It's mainly used for shear walls when the ceiling height is greater than 8'.
It saves a bunch of labor since you don't have to block and nail off the
shorter ply.

--Mike

Sea Ray boat covers Haas C General 3 June 27th 08 02:29 AM
power cords and plugs RB Electronics 3 January 29th 06 08:37 PM
WARNING Bungee Love Nidge UK Paddle 0 September 25th 04 10:50 PM
Kill Cords? Steve H General 8 August 11th 04 04:54 PM
boat covers Fred General 4 November 7th 03 11:51 PM