Pops

Default Sportfishing Boat Builders

I am moving to the Portland Oregon area and am interested in buying a
sportfishing boat in the 21-28 foot range. I have done some searching on the
net and found only builders that offer models with outboards. I am looking
for an I/O or inboard builder. Anyone have any names to pass me?

thanks

Harry Krause

Pops wrote:

I am moving to the Portland Oregon area and am interested in buying a
sportfishing boat in the 21-28 foot range. I have done some searching on the
net and found only builders that offer models with outboards. I am looking
for an I/O or inboard builder. Anyone have any names to pass me?

thanks

Why would you want a sportfishing boat with an I/O?

Chuck Gould here can point you to West Coast builders, but you might
consider Henriques for a really nice 28' twin diesel inboard sportfish.
And Sea Sport makes some first-class fishing boats in that size. Also
consider the builders of aluminum sportfish boats out in your area.

--
Email sent to is never read.
Gould 0738

I am moving to the Portland Oregon area and am interested in buying a
sportfishing boat in the 21-28 foot range. I have done some searching on the
net and found only builders that offer models with outboards. I am looking
for an I/O or inboard builder. Anyone have any names to pass me?

thanks

Skagit Orca boats are built in Kent, WA.
I've seen some nice 27-28 footers, I/O config, with a small cabin well forward
and
a large cockpit. The boat has decent freeboard, and seems like it would be well
suited for coastal salmon or bottom fishing.

Lean toward the larger end of your size range, if you can. The area near the
mouth of the Columbia can be tricky. Every year we seem to hear about a small,
private fish boat that gets into mortal trouble in the area. Lots of times it's
operator stupidity, but other times it's just too many people and too much gear
on too small a boat for the conditions. A larger boat will give you more
options, even if you don't *always* need it.

Short Wave Sportfishing

On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 18:38:13 -0500, Harry Krause
wrote:

Pops wrote:

I am moving to the Portland Oregon area and am interested in buying a
sportfishing boat in the 21-28 foot range. I have done some searching on the
net and found only builders that offer models with outboards. I am looking
for an I/O or inboard builder. Anyone have any names to pass me?

thanks

Why would you want a sportfishing boat with an I/O?

Chuck Gould here can point you to West Coast builders, but you might
consider Henriques for a really nice 28' twin diesel inboard sportfish.
And Sea Sport makes some first-class fishing boats in that size. Also
consider the builders of aluminum sportfish boats out in your area.

Specifically Pacific Boats which, if I was in the market for a
aluminum boat (I believe these can be made in an I/O version) I would
probably purchase. I rode in one last summer and was most impressed.

Later,

Tom
S. Woodstock, CT
----------
"My rod and my reel - they comfort me."

St. Pete, 12 Lb. Test

CaptMP

BLACKMAN boats in San Diego produces some top notch custom sportfishing boats,
from an open model w/gas I/O to cabin models with twin diesels and refrigerated
fish holds. No, I have no ties to Mr. Blackman save I worked across the street
from his yard for years, and spent a lot of lunch hours drooling. Out of my
price range....damn it. 4925 Market St San Diego, 619-266-8013 or do a google
for Blackman boats.
Good luck
Mike

GAZ

How much experience do you have in rough waters in these? The reason I ask
is because a friend has one and all he can talk about is how it beats him up
in rough water. We were running together this summer in the straits in some
nasties and he had to turn back cause he couldn't hack the pounding.
Gordon
"Calif Bill" wrote in message
ink.net...
http://www.acbboats.com/
Aluminum Chambered Boats. Great rough water boat.
Bill

Snafu

I live in the Portland area, and use my boat (a 17' Arima Sea Ranger,
http://www.arimaboats.com/) to fish for salmon off the mouth of the
Columbia. Is this the type of fishing you have in mind? Or are you
thinking more about using a boat in the Columbia and Willamette Rivers?

I'm limiting my reply only to inboards and I/Os. As someone pointed out,
Sea
Sport (http://www.seasportboats.com/) is a popular boat. I also see a lot
of Olympic boats (http://www.olympicboats.net/).

If you are interested in used boats, one of the most popular boats in the
size you are looking for is the 26' Tollycraft. Tollycraft is no longer in
business, but I've never heard a bad word about their boats. Here's an
example of the model I'm talking about:
http://brinsfield.com/merchant.ihtml?pid=1035&step=4.

The Portland Boat Show just ended yesterday. Perhaps you can make it to the
Seattle show Jan 16 - 25?

Good luck in your search!

nk.net...

offshore fishing adectus General 7 January 3rd 04 03:23 PM
Harry's lobster boat? Gould 0738 General 3 December 23rd 03 06:24 AM
Repost from Merc group Clams Canino General 0 August 29th 03 12:43 PM